CEOs and Presidents of small and mid-size companies are continuously trying to build the ultimate sales team.
Here are five key factors of a successful sales team in 2013:
1. Hire Closers - Fire Deal Killers. Hiring the right salespeople who are hunters, self-motivated, hungry, trainable, professional and most of all closers is critical to your company's success. You will meet your sales goals with a sales strategy and sales team that is focused on closing sales timely. Deal killers rarely close and insist on addressing every want and need of the prospects until most deals die out. Hire right and prosper.
2. Nail Your Sales Compensation Plan. Incentivizing your salespeople properly with the right balance and level of base salary or draw, plus commissions and bonuses, to create added urgency is key to a hungry, productive sales team. Provide the right training, recognition and well placed "spiffs" coupled with the right compensation plan and your sales activity, opportunities and closed deals will multiply.
3. Increase your Sales Pipeline. Most CEOs insist on sales goals in numbers of deals and dollars, but few hold salespeople accountable for a) sales appointments per week and month, and b) opportunities created in your CRM software per week and month and other critical sales goals. By creating urgency and clearly articulating all of your sales goals, your sales productivity will increase and sales cycles will be reduced resulting in higher sales and met sales goals.
4. Build Trust and Loyalty. When commission payments are not timely and accurate, salespeople lose trust in the company's ability to deliver on their commission plan, and sales managers often invest their precious time resolving disputes or errors. Successful companies have deployed incentive compensation solutions to align selling behaviors with their business objectives. Compensation management instills loyalty and trust, and ensures that your sales engine is running optimally.
5. Provide One-to-One or Sales Team Coaching and Training. Engage with a professional advisor to assess your sales process and speak with you and your salespeople. Have the advisor review and document the sales process, evaluate the leads and prospects in your CRM, review your sales goals, compensation plan, lead generation and distribution, sales management, sales meetings and sales productivity. This will generate a tremendous return on your investment - more than most anything you can do at your own company - and then implement sales training for the sales team to refine and improve their sales techniques, productivity, focus and results.
CEO Advisor provides sales consulting and training that can forever improve the results of your sales team, positively impacting sales, margins and profits for you and your company. Contact Mark Hartsell, MBA, CEO of CEO Advisor, Inc. today for a no cost, no obligation meeting at your office at (949) 629-2520 or email MHartsell@CEOAdvisor.com.